SUMMARY: Increase your account security by creating a unique username to access your accounts online.
Cyber-attacks are in the news nearly every day. Criminals are always on the hunt for personal information they can steal for financial gain. They continually invest in more tools and tactics to achieve their goals – but if you invest a few minutes of your time, you can easily add an extra layer of protection.
When you first signed up for Online or Mobile Banking, your default username was your TDECU Member number. If you never changed your account number to a unique username, you may be at greater risk of having your identity stolen. Fortunately, it only takes a few minutes to make your TDECU Online and Mobile Banking account more secure by updating your account credentials.
We encourage you to take a few minutes to create a unique username for your TDECU account with the following tips in mind:
- Don’t use your full name, parts of your address or phone number.
- Don’t use your email address.
- Don’t use the same username and password combination, especially on financial accounts.
- Don’t choose a super-odd username and then reuse it again and again — it makes you easier to track
- Don’t choose a username that gives clues to your passwords, such as a series of numbers/letters.
- Combine two to three words to create a unique username. Mix in numbers for added security.
It only takes a few clicks to change your TDECU login information within Online and Mobile Banking:
- Select Security Preferences from the Settings menu.
- Select Change Password to update your password.
- Select Change Login ID to update your username.
While you’re updating your username, take a few moments to consider whether your password could be strengthened. Remember to not share your login credentials with anyone – and TDECU will never ask for your password, PIN or secure access code.